- 1 What is mug in British slang?
- 2 Where does the insult mug come from?
- 3 What does mugs mean in texting?
- 4 What is a melt UK slang?
- 5 What does crack on mean in UK?
- 6 Is mug an insult?
- 7 Why is called a mug shot?
- 8 Why is mug slang for face?
- 9 What does mugs stand for in medical terms?
- 10 What does hurt like a mug mean?
- 11 What does fit mean UK?
- 12 What is a dry slap?
- 13 What does pied mean?
What is mug in British slang?
mug is london slang probably cockney. as it is used mostly by londoners and people from essex. it means a stupid, gullible person. someone easily taken advantage of.
Where does the insult mug come from?
[“Annual Report of the Chief of Police for 1873,” Boston, Mass.] Hence mug-shot (by 1950). Meaning ” stupid or incompetent person, dupe, fool, sucker” is by 1851 in thieves’ slang; hence “a person” generally (especially “a criminal”), by 1890.
What does mugs mean in texting?
MUG. Definition: Idiot. Type: Slang Word (Jargon)
What is a melt UK slang?
1. Melt. Definition: Acting soft/pathetically over a girl, or boy. Being a soppy Sally – but in a way that draws disdain from your fellow contestants. As in: “You’re acting like a total melt.”
What does crack on mean in UK?
UK informal. to start or continue doing something, especially more quickly or with more energy after a pause: The meeting needs to finish by 5, so we’d better crack on.
Is mug an insult?
Mug is a funny word that could represent a cup, your face, or even what you do when you rob someone. When it’s a verb, mug means ” rob someone while threatening violence.” This meaning came from an earlier definition, “to strike someone in the face (or the mug).”
Why is called a mug shot?
A mugshot is a police photograph taken of someone who’s been arrested. Most mugshots are taken as soon as a suspect is brought into a police station, and they don’t tend to be flattering. This police tool came to have this nickname mugshot from the informal meaning of mug, “face.”
Why is mug slang for face?
It most likely derives from “mugg,” a Scandinavian word for a drinking vessel. In the 17th and 18th centuries, mugs were often decorated with cartoonishly-drawn human faces. This may have led to the use of “mug” as a synonym for an ugly face.
What does mugs stand for in medical terms?
Overview. Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS) is a condition in which an abnormal protein — known as monoclonal protein or M protein — is in your blood. This abnormal protein is formed within your bone marrow, the soft, blood-producing tissue that fills in the center of most of your bones.
What does hurt like a mug mean?
Definitions include: extremely physically kiss one another. than a mug.
What does fit mean UK?
1. Fit (adj) So, in the UK fit doesn’t just mean that you go to the gym a lot. Fit is a way of saying that a person is attractive, or sexy.
What is a dry slap?
Dry slap = backhanded slap. Plum = idiot “You’re a plum!”, “Don’t be a plum!”
What does pied mean?
Pied means colorfully jumbled. If you’re looking at kittens, you may see solid black ones, solid white, or ones with lots of different patches of color. Now, pied can indicate anything having two or more colors. Someone with multicolored articles of clothing can be said to be pied, as in the Pied Piper of Hamlin.